Dear America: Across the Wide and Lonesome Prairie
An Oregon Trail Unit Study
Part Five - Pages 113-140
1) What makes Tall Joe make a quick decision about whether or not to cross the river right now?
2) What happened to Aunt June as they started to cross the cold river?
3) What does Aunt June name the baby that was born as they were crossing the channels?
4) What happened to Mrs. Bigg?
5) Why are so many people now walking?
6) Who rides in the wagons?
7) How do folks treat Mrs. Kenker?
8) How long might it take for folks back home to receive a letter from Oregon?
9) What does Hattie do at the Christmas party that shows she is learning about forgiveness?
1) Make a timeline of the journey.
*This link tells how to make a timeline using Microsoft Word:
2) Mark the route of the journey on a blank U.S. map. Write in states, large towns and rivers along the trail. See page 161 for an example. http://www.historyglobe.com/ot/otmap1.htm
3) Compare and contrast yourself to Hattie. How are you alike and how are you different. Use this Venn Diagram to compare and contrast.