Dear America: Seeds of Hope
A California Gold Rush
Literature-Based Unit Study
Susannah's January and February Diary Entries
1) Why is the California behind schedule?
2) What happened to Mother the first few weeks of setting sail?
3) Where are the Fairchilds heading on this voyage?
4) What is the reason the Fairchild family is making the voyage?
5) What is a Tar Head?
6) Why are some passengers suffering from bleeding teeth?
7) Why were so many Peruvian men waiting to board the California in Panama City?
8) What gift do Clara and Susanna give to Rosita?
9) What decision does Papa make that upsets Clara and Susanna?
10) What would be a good title for Susanna's diary entries for the month of January?
1) Pretend you are Papa or Clara and keep a diary from their perspective as you read the book.
2) Research scurvy. Make notes about how it is caused and ways to prevent it.
3) Draw a map showing the route the Fairchild family traveled on the California.
On to Part Two!