Dear America: Seeds of Hope
A California Gold Rush
Literature-Based Unit Study
Susannah's March and April Diary Entries
1) Explain the tragedy that happened to Mother.
2) What happened to the money Papa had saved?
3) Why does Papa want to be a miner and pan for gold?
4) In your own words, describe what "gold fever" is.
5) Who is Jesse Blue and why does he make Papa happy?
6) According to Susanna, what type of people are most of the miners?
7) What did Papa place on the floor of the tent and why?
8) What did Susanna think the gold that Papa found his first day look like?
9) Who is Captain Clinkingbeard and why is he at Miner's Creek?
10) Why are the girls trapped in the cabin?
1) Design a miners camp and name it. Draw a layout and make a legend (key). Make sure to include nearby streams for panning, possible camp sites, nearest town and which direction it is, buildings or stores, etc.
2) Wax Seal -- Make a wax seal like Clara and Susanna did when they wrote their father a letter.
Use the melted wax of a crayon or candle to make your own seal. Drip the wax onto the envelope to make a circle. Let it cool down slightly. Press an initial stamp into the wax or draw a heart or other figure using a paperclip or pencil tip. (Because this seal involves fire, only do this project with adult supervision.)
On to Part Three!