Dear America: Seeds of Hope
A California Gold Rush
Literature-Based Unit Study
Susannah's May and June Diary Entries
1) Why did the girls sweep in front of the cabin before they left?
2) Why do the girls head toward the Peruvian camp?
3) How were some foreigners being treated by Americans and why?
4) What pet do the girls have?
5) How do they get the pet?
6) List some ways the girls help Rosita.
7) Why does Clara think the tree blocking the front door of the cabin needs to be moved?
8) Describe how the girls cook eggs.
9) Where did the girls start letting Lilly sleep and why?
10) What happened to the money Susanna kept under her pillow?
11) What happened to the young boy?
12) What happened to the spot where the girls found gold?
13) What did Jesse Blue do that made the Fairchild family sad?
14) What new pets do the girls get?
15) How do the cats help the miners?
16) What will happen with the bear and the bull?
1) Create a menu that the girls might have been able to cook. It can be a breakfast, lunch or dinner.
2) Research rats and find out how they can be a hindrance and ways to avoid being infested with them.
On to Part Four!