Dear America: Seeds of Hope
A California Gold Rush
Literature-Based Unit Study
Susannah's July and August Diary Entries
1) How are Papa and Captain Clinkingbeard alike?
2) What is a big nuisance for the people of Miner's Creek during the summer?
3) How do they know Rosita is ready to have her baby?
4) What happened to the pet trout?
5) What happened to President Polk?
6) What decision did the Fairchild family make?
7) What reservations do the girls have about leaving Miner's Creek?
8) What will Susanna miss about Miner's Creek?
9) Who does Susanna listen to outside talking with her father?
1) Make Miner's Griddle Cakes for breakfast. Turn to page 177 and follow the directions in the book.
2) Sing a song from the time period. Turn to page 178 and sing Clementine. Think about the song and what it is saying. What happened to Clementine?
Here are short samples of authentic gold rush songs you can listen to.
On to Part Five!