Dear America: Seeds of Hope
A California Gold Rush
Literature-Based Unit Study
Susannah's September Diary Entry and Epilogue
1) Who will live in the Fairchild's cabin once they are gone?
2) What will happen to the girl's pets?
3) What news makes Susanna happy?
4) Who will live in Sam's cabin?
5) What happened to Captain Clinkingbeard's family?
6) How has Sacramento changed since they were there last?
7) What does Sam say that makes Susanna blush?
8) What did Susanna read about in the newspaper that made Papa sad?
9) Until they can build their own house, where do the Fairchild's live?
10) What happens to Sam and Susanna?
11) What happens to Clara?
12) What happens to the Captain?
1) Write a new ending to the story in which Jesse Blue's wife does receive the letter from Susanna.
2) Read about Bull and Bear and how it relates to Wall Street. (See pages 170-171 in your book for more information.)
See more literature-based unit studies in our Student Created Units Index!