EasyFunSchool has over 1,500 pages of free unit studies, science projects, recipe and craft ideas, history activities & many other resources to make homeschooling more enjoyable for both child and parent!
Middle Ages Worksheet #2
Armor in the Middle Ages was very expensive. Only full knights could afford a full suit of armor. Horses could also be outfitted with armor. But armor was not just a simple set of clothes, its very complicated. In fact, it took two men to dress a knight in his armor. See if you can identify each piece of armor.
Parts of a suit of armor:
4. Shoulder Piece
9. Coat of Mail
11. Elbow Piece
Description of each piece:
1. Helmet = metal head covering.
2. Visor = the moveable part of the helmet in front of the eyes.
3. Gorget = a collar of metal that protected the throat.
4. Shoulder Piece = metal that covered the shoulders.
5. Cuirass = a breast plate from the neck to the waist.
6. Brassard = armor that protects the arm.
7. Tasset = overlapping plates of metal that formed a short skirt around the hips.
8. Gauntlet = a glove.
9. Coat of Mail = mesh or net made of small metal rings or links that was worn under the suite of armor. Also known as Chain Mail.
10. Cuisse = a piece of steel that covered the thighs.
11. Elbow Piece = metal piece that covered the knee, but allowed it to bend.
12. Greave = the piece of armor that covered the leg from the ankle to the knee.
13. Sabaton = the armor piece that covered the foot.
Knights could also carry shields, swords, a mace, and other forms of Medieval weaponry.