EasyFunSchool has over 1,500 pages of free unit studies, science projects, recipe and craft ideas, history activities & many other resources to make homeschooling more enjoyable for both child and parent!
Shrunken Apple Heads
This is a fun craft project. Iíve seen this used in many ways Ö the most unusual of which was with a study of some of the Pacific Island nations that still had head hunters. Also a great craft to add to the study of pioneering or apples.
Large apple (golden or red delicious varieties are best)
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon of salt
Small amount of rice if desired
1. Peel apple and coat with mixture of lemon juice and salt.
2. With a potato peeler, knife, or pumpkin carver carve out eye sockets, nose, mouth and ears.
3. Stick whole cloves where eyes should be and rice where teeth should be. Sit apple on top of bottle cap.
4. Place on a drying rack in a warm, dry place for about 2 weeks.
5. Shape the face as it shrinks and hardens.
6. Once dry, insert a strong wire to form body and add clothes if desired or other accessories.
Some of these can be extremely life-like.