EasyFunSchool has over 1,500 pages of free unit studies, science projects, recipe and craft ideas, history activities & many other resources to make homeschooling more enjoyable for both child and parent!
Make Your Own Camera
This project is also known as a pin-hole camera. This is a fun and educational way to introduce your child to the art of photography. They will get to see how the more modern, automatic cameras work.
Color or black-n-white 126 film cartridge
Black adhesive tape (electrical tape works well)
Pieces of black cardboard
- 1.25 inches x 5.75 inches
- 1.25 inches x 2.75 inches
Piece of black paper one inch square
Piece of aluminum foil one inch square
Two rubber bands
1. Fold the larger piece of cardboard into four equal sections.
2. Fold the cardboard into a four-sided box and tape edge with black tape.
3. Make a small hole in the center of the piece of aluminum foil with the point of a needle.
4. Cut a one inch square in the center of the smaller piece of cardboard. Tape the foil over the opening using the black tape. Tape only the edges down and do not cover the pin hole made by the needle.
5. Tape this piece of cardboard to the box you have made. One of the open ends of the box should fit over the square of aluminum foil. Make sure no light gets into the box by covering all the edges with the black tape.
6. Attach the film cartridge to the box with two rubber bands. Place a small piece of black tape over the hold in the aluminum..
USING YOUR CAMERA:
Use a small coin to wind the film. Wind the film until the first number is showing. To take a picture, lift the black tape cover the pinhole. You must hold the camera perfectly still when you lift the tap or the picture will be blurry. Cover the pinhole and wind the film to take another picture.