EasyFunSchool has over 1,500 pages of free unit studies, science projects, recipe and craft ideas, history activities & many other resources to make homeschooling more enjoyable for both child and parent!
Legend has it that this recipe was created at the request of General George Washington himself during one of the winters of the American Revolution. Why not let your kids fix it and re-enact some of the conditions that the Colonial Army dealt with during the American Revolution.
Philadelphia Pepper Pot
The cook who supposedly made this up for General Washington had very few ingredients on hand. The only meat was tripe. Sausage has been substituted for tripe in this recipe and ground pepper as been substituted for the whole peppercorns in the original as well.
1 pound ground beef or pork sausage
1 large onion
2 stalks of celery
2 bell (green) peppers
3 large potatoes
1 t. dried parsley
about 5 cups of water
1 t. ground pepper
½ t. ground cloves
1. Brown the ground sausage and then drain thoroughly.
2. Peel and chop onion.
3. Chop celery.
4. Seed and chop bell peppers.
5. Cut potatoes into bite-sized pieces. No need to peel them.
6. In dutch oven or stock pot, add browned sausage, chopped veggies, and parsley.
7. Pour in five cups of water.
8. Add the pepper and ground cloves.
9. Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce to medium heat and cover.
10. Cook for about an hour or until the potatoes are tender.