EasyFunSchool has over 1,500 pages of free unit studies, science projects, recipe and craft ideas, history activities & many other resources to make homeschooling more enjoyable for both child and parent!
Homemade Gift: Candy Lipgloss
The concept of frugality is becoming more and more important to more and more people, especially here during the traditional holiday season. For December, I will include a series of articles on homemade gifts. These will also have the practical use of allowing children to learn budgeting and math, science and chemistry, and other ways of including fun educational opportunities into what many consider normal, daily living.
Petroleum jelly (aka Vaseline)
Coconut oil (We found it at a natural foods store)
Candy oils** (Optional)
Small containers (use empty lip gloss pots or small washed and sanitized paint jars)
A large pot of warm water
1. Grate 1/2 teaspoon paraffin wax into a baggie.
2. Add 2 teaspoons each of coconut oil and petroleum jelly.
3. Add 2 candy drops in colors and flavors desired and 1/4 teaspoon of candy flavoring if desired for extra flavor.
4. Place baggie in pot of warm water until melted.
5. Squeeze with your fingers to mix.
6. Cut a small hole in the corner of the baggie and pour into small container.
7. It will set in one hour (or less if you put in the refrigerator).
Both girls and women really like these thoughtful and flavorful gifts. But, donít forget them men. Simply use white candy melts instead of colored ones. They can use this when the are fishing, camping, skiing, hiking, etc.
*Paraffin Wax can be found at most craft supply stores. It can also be found at many grocery stores near the canning supplies. If it isnít there, simply ask the store clerk what aisle it can be found on.
**Candy melts are used to make candy Ė most craft stores carry them in stock and they come in rainbow colors and flavors. Wiltonís is a popular named brand of this product, but there are also other brands. Wiltonís also has the candy oil flavorings and should be in the same general location as the candy melts. You might also check your local cake decorating supplier for these items.