EasyFunSchool has over 1,500 pages of free unit studies, science projects, recipe and craft ideas, history activities & many other resources to make homeschooling more enjoyable for both child and parent!
Pathology Pound Cake
Here's a fun home ec or math or science activity that is both yummy and gross at the same time. Just what the kids will get a kick from.
1 1/4 cup Seedless strawberry jam
1/2 pint Whipping cream
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1 package (12 oz) frozen blueberries, Partially thawed
1. With an adult's help, preheat oven and mix cake according to package directions.
2. Grease and flour a loaf pan.
3. Pour a half inch layer of batter into the pan.
4. Then, using a spoon, glop several lines and small pools of blood (jam) over the batter.
5. Repeat until you put one final layer of batter covering all signs of jam.
6. You should bake according to package directions.
7. After removing from pan, allow to cool 35-40 minutes.
8. Beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
9. Add the sugar, then whip for another minute.
10. Using a spoon, gently swirl 2 tablespoons of the extra
"blood" into the whipped cream and refirgerate until ready to serve the cake.
11. Place the partially thawed blueberries in the ziploc bag.
12. Seal and lightly pound the berries until they are quished, but not complete mush.
13. Pour into a bowl, add two tablespoons jam and mix well.
14. Slice and arrange the cake on a platter.
14. Place the bloody whipped cream and blueberry blood clots beside the platter for guests to use as toppings.
Serves 8-10 psycho scientists.
This was developed from a book by Cheryl Porter called "Gross Grub" (ISBN 0-679-86693-0).