EasyFunSchool has over 1,500 pages of free unit studies, science projects, recipe and craft ideas, history activities & many other resources to make homeschooling more enjoyable for both child and parent!
Oh what fun! This is very similar to other science experiments that I have done in that ingredients are listed by number or letter and to get the correct end result, children must follow the directions correctly.
Christmas Candy Cane Recipe
To make this even more like a lab, have them keep a lab notebook of what happens at each stage of the process.
3 cups Ingredient 1 (aka granulated Sugar)
1 teaspoon Ingredient 2 (aka Peppermint flavoring)
1/2 cup H2O (aka Water)
3/4 cup Ingredient 3 (aka corn syrup*)
3/4 teaspoon Ingredient 4 (aka red food coloring)
1/4 teaspoon Ingredient 5 (aka Cream of tartar)
1. Combine Ingredients 1, the H2O, Ingredient 3, and Ingredient 5. Heat until all ingredients are dissolved very finely.
2. Divide into two saucepans, boil, but don't stir, please, until each lot is 280F.
3. Add 1/2 teaspoon Ingredient 2 to each pan and stir.
4. In only one of the pans add Ingredient 4 and stir.
5. Place pans on an enamel or marble table to cool.
6. After the contents of both pans have cooled enough to handle, like taffy, you stretch and pull and form into ropes of red and white, now twist them around again and again.
7. Form them into the shape of a shepherd's crook.
8. Now on an oiled surface you allow them to harden.
*In Great Britain, Corn Syrup is also known as Golden Syrup