EasyFunSchool has over 1,500 pages of free unit studies, science projects, recipe and craft ideas, history activities & many other resources to make homeschooling more enjoyable for both child and parent!
Hamburger Dinners in Foil
This is a real fun activity. Its neat and the kids will love using their measuring and mixing skills to go along with following the directions and listening skills. They’ll also be able to say, “I cooked it myself.”
1 pound ground beef
OR ground turkey
OR ground chicken
3/4 t. salt
1/4 t. dry mustard
1 large mild onion
2 medium potatoes
4 T. catsup
2 medium carrots
4 t. butter or margarine
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Mix the ground meat, 3/4 t. salt, and 1/4 t. dry mustard together thoroughly. Then divide the mixed meat mixture into four equal parts and place each quarter into the center of a 18-inch by 15-inch sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil.
3. Shape each part with your hands into a patty about 3/4 inch thick.
4. Peel one onion and cut it in half. Wrap one half and refrigerate to use another day.
5. Cut the remaining half into 4 slices. Be careful – onions are very slippery. Place one onion slice on each patty.
6. Wash and pare 2 potatoes, then cut each crosswise in half.
7. Allowing half of a potato for each dinner, cut the halves into 1/4 inch slices and place on top of the onion slices. Sprinkle each layer of potato slices with a pinch of salt and top with one tablespoon catsup.
8. Wash and pare 2 carrots, then cut each crosswise in half.
9. Allowing half of a carrot for each dinner, cut halves into 1/4 inch sticks and place on top of the potato slices.
10. Sprinkle each layer of carrots with a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper.
11. Top each dinner with one teaspoon of butter.
12. Bring the long sides of the aluminum up to meet above the food. Press the top edges of the foil together and make a series of folds until foil is close to the food. Crease the unfolded ends to points and fold under. Place the foil packets in an ungreased baking pan.
13. Bake the dinners in 375 degree oven for one hour and fifteen minutes.
Safety Note: Be careful when you open the foil packets. The steam is very hot and could scald you!!