EasyFunSchool has over 1,500 pages of free unit studies, science projects, recipe and craft ideas, history activities & many other resources to make homeschooling more enjoyable for both child and parent!
St. Patrick's Day can make a really fun unit study. You have the religious element of it for serious study and you also have the fun and silly side of the holiday for entertainment value. Add in a study on the color green, a study of snakes (St. Patrick reportedly drove the snakes from Ireland), and/or a geography unit on Ireland and you can have a unit that lasts the whole month of March. What fun!
Check your local library for the following subjects: Ireland, Celts, St. Patrick, Catholicism, Potato Famine, Immigration of the Irish, etc.
Check out TeAchnology for a prepared lesson plan for St. Patrick's Day.
1. For little ones you could read the book Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss and then have green eggs for breakfast. Its simple. Fix your normal recipe for scrambled eggs, and then before you cook them, stir in a goodly dose of green food coloring (liquid, not paste). Watch their faces when you surprise them at breakfast!!
15. Geography: Study a map of Ireland. What products are produced in Ireland? What is their major export?
16. Politics/Civics: Why is Ireland divided into two distinct areas, Northern Ireland and Ireland?
17. History: What was the Great Potato Famine? When did it occur? Even though it happened in Ireland, how did it effect the United States?
18. Color recognition: Do some activities surrounding the color green. Cut out magazine pictures and make a green collage. Name or gather as many things in nature that are green as you can find. Have a green meal by only eating green food... or food colored green. How does the color green make you feel? You may wish to follow some of the activities in Have A Green Day!