EasyFunSchool has over 1,500 pages of free unit studies, science projects, recipe and craft ideas, history activities & many other resources to make homeschooling more enjoyable for both child and parent!
Fun Food: Bumpy Banana Dinosaurs
Here's a yummy treat, the results of which are a fun addition to a study of dinosaurs. It certainly doesn't hurt that it is nutritious.
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (4 1/2 to 5 cups)
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/3 cup instant nonfat dry milk
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 packages Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast, *see notes
1 1/4 cups water
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup mashed ripe bananas, about 2 bananas
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
All natural cooking spray
1 egg white beaten with 1 tablespoon water
1. Combine 1 cup flour, wheat germ, dry milk, sugar, salt and yeast in large bowl. Heat water and butter until very warm (125º to 130º F). Gradually add to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add banana and 1 cup flour; beat at high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in walnuts and enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
2. On lightly floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Place in bowl coated with cooking spray. Spray top of dough with cooking spray. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
3. Punch dough down. Divide dough in half; reserve one half for second dinosaur.
Stegosaurus: Divide dough half into two equal pieces. Shape one piece into 8 × 4-inch half- circle. Place on baking sheet coated with PAM spray. Gently pull and stretch right corner of dough to form 3 1/2-inch head, tapering end. With sharp knife, make 1-inch cut at end of head to make mouth. Press raisin in head for eye. Gently pull and stretch left corner of dough to form 6-inch tail, tapering end. Flatten tail slightly and curve down to form "C". Remove 1/4 of remaining dough piece; divide into 2 equal pieces and shape into two 4 1/2 × 1-inch rectangles. Place adjacent to body to make legs. Turn up ends to make "L" for feet. Make 2 cuts at the end of each foot to form toes. Divide remaining dough into 3 equal pieces. Divide one in half; shape into 2 large triangles. Divide one into 4 pieces; shape into 4 medium triangles. Divide one into 6 pieces; shape into small triangles. Arrange triangles in a row along back of dinosaur, slightly overlapping, with large triangles at center and smaller triangles at ends near head and tail. Repeat with reserved dough half to make second dinosaur. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
4. Carefully redefine shape, if necessary. Brush with egg white mixture. Bake at 350º F for 30 minutes or until done. Remove from baking sheets and cool on wire racks. Makes 2 dinosaurs.
5. Tyrannosaurus Rex: Remove 3/4 of dough half to form 10 × 4-inch oval. Place diagonally on baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Gently pull and stretch top of oval to form round, 3-inch diameter head; taper one end to form mouth. Pinch bottom of head to define neck. With sharp knife, make 1-inch cut at mouth; open slightly. Press raisin in head for eye. Gently pull and stretch bottom end of oval to form 6-inch tail; taper end and curve up to form "C". Remove 1/4 of remaining dough and divide into 2 pieces; form into two 5 × 1-inch strips for arms. Place arms on body below head and curve down slightly to form hands. With sharp knife, make 2 (1/2-inch) cuts for fingers. Divide remaining dough into 2 pieces; form into two 6 × 1 1/2-inch strips. Place one strip underneath body, below arms; place one strip on top of body below the first strip for legs. Turn up ends to make "L" for feet. With sharp knife, make 2 (1/2-inch) cuts in each foot for toes. Spread toes slightly.
6. Repeat with reserved dough half to make second dinosaur. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
7. Carefully redefine shape if necessary. Brush with egg white mixture. Bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes or until done. Remove from baking sheets and cool on wire racks.