EasyFunSchool has over 1,500 pages of free unit studies, science projects, recipe and craft ideas, history activities & many other resources to make homeschooling more enjoyable for both child and parent!
The Bronze Bow - Literature Unit
The following activities can be used in conjunction with the reading of the Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare, a Newbery Medal winning book.
This historical fiction book is about a boy who is consumed with anger for the Romans who killed his parents when they invaded his homeland of Canaan. After his grandmother died, he is forced to leave the rebel forces he joined to begin caring for his sister. This makes him even angrier and more bitter. But, in town he meets a man named Jesus who will change his life.
1. As you read The Bronze Bow, think about the setting and what life must have been like for Daniel, both before and after his parents were killed.
2. Use a map or atlas to find places described or mentioned in the book.
3. As you read each chapter of the book, discuss the problems facing Daniel. Predict what might happen next. Were you correct or were you surprised?
4. Throughout the story are Hebrew words. Make a Hebrew picture dictionary. On a piece of paper, write a Hebrew word, then above it or below it, draw a picture that illustrated the meaning of the word.
5. Make a list of character traits and descriptive adjectives for several of the main characters in the book.
6. In chapter 3, Daniel visits Joel’s home in Capernaum. This estate is very different from the mountain cave of the rebels and the house he lived in with his sister. Compare and contrast all three homes to each other. Then, compare them to your own home today.
7. Compare and contrast the social and cultural customs of the ancient Romans and Hebrews. Are these customs a little or a lot different from your own? Explain.
8. In Chapter 15, the parable of the Good Samaritan is used. Write this parable in your own words and tell the lesson that it teaches.
9. Write a modern version of the parable of the Good Samaritan .
Other books by Elizabeth George Speare
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
The Sign of the Beaver